CREATE STUDIO COMPETITION
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
METHOD OF ENTRY
1. Information on how to enter forms part of the terms of entry. Entry into the competition is deemed acceptance of these terms and conditions.
2. Entry is open to Australian residents aged 18 and over only. Entries may be submitted by an individual or a team. Employees of SBS, The Loop and full-time employees of Foxtel, their associated companies and their immediate families are ineligible.
3. The competition period starts on October 1, 2013 at 09:00 AEST and ends on October 31, 2013 at 23.59 AEDT (the Competition Period).
4. SBS’s subscription arts channel, STUDIO, is looking for the FOUR best creative ideas to be executed in FOUR separate 30’ promos for television broadcast, which would assist in promoting greater brand awareness and further integration of STUDIO with the arts & creative community.
THE ENTRY PROCESS
5. Submission of entry and required information is via The Loop www.theloop.com.au.
6. To enter, participants must:
• go to www.theloop.com.au and follow the directions on the website to submit the entry form. Participants must register their details, including (but not limited to) name, address and phone number and include a resume and portfolio outlining the entrants’ previous work, experience, education, interests and contact details, as well as an outline of the visual concept and proposed execution (the Concept), with a budget breakdown that supports Concept development for the 30 second video piece (the budget should not exceed $5,000 excluding filming costs).
• As long as the Concept follows the STUDIO requirements below, artists should feel otherwise unrestricted in fully exploring the creative potential of the brief:
Creative Concepts for STUDIO brand idents and logos must always celebrate the STUDIO brand essence; that the arts and design are an accessible, inspiring and integral part of every day.
when commissioning STUDIO brand idents the integrity of the STUDIO logo letterforms and font (Ziggurat: upper case, kerning at 0) must be retained. Letterforms can be extruded to create 3 dimensional representations as well as just 2 dimensional. The logo will be available to download from the STUDIO website.
- The Concept must be based on a final outcome of a 30 second video with the STUDIO logo revealed/completed in the last 10 seconds of the spot. The Concept should include the ‘process’ or ‘reveal’ of how the logo was created and it should be able to be filmed in one location using timelapse techniques to capture the creation.
- Submissions must include the use of the STUDIO brand sting soundtrack. This music will be available from the STUDIO website www.studio.com.au and no additional audio is permitted.
- Entries submitted must be participant’s original work. Use of photography, video, imagery, technique or any other material that a third party owns the copyright to will result in disqualification. SBS reserves the right to request additional material demonstrating the participant’s ownership of their Concept.
- All entries must meet a G classification rating.
7. Entrants should note that the four Finalists will be required to assign copyright in the Concept to SBS.
8. SBS reserves the right to request winners to provide proof of identity, proof of Australian residency status at the address given and/or proof of entry validity, in order to claim a prize. Acceptance of proof of identification, Australian residency status and entry considered suitable for verification is at the discretion of SBS. In the event that a winner cannot provide proof, the winner will forfeit the prize in whole and no substitute will be offered.
9. Incomprehensible and incomplete entries will be deemed invalid.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
10. A judging panel comprised of STUDIO’s Head of Marketing, a Foxtel representative a representative from The Loop and a representative from the arts community (the Judging Panel) will select a shortlist of entrants to present their Concept to the Judging Panel.
Concepts will be judged on the following points:
• Meeting the brief
• Strength of execution
11. It is anticipated the presentations will take place between Thursday 7 November 2013 and Thursday 14 November 2013, specific times and dates to be confirmed with the shortlisted entrants. Presentations may be conducted in person at SBS’s Sydney office or via Skype or conference call when the shortlisted entrants will present their Concept with associated visual materials.
12. From the shortlist, the top four (4) entries will be determined (the Finalists). The Finalists will be contacted by mail, email or phone on Monday 18 November 2013 and published on the STUDIO website.
13. Each Finalist will work with the STUDIO Production Manager to achieve their Concept by the scheduled shoot day and within the set budget ($5,000 excluding filming costs, to be administered by STUDIO’s Production Manager).
14. Each Finalist will be allocated a shoot day determined by the Production Manager, where their Concept will be brought to life on film. STUDIO’s Creative Services Manager will manage each shoot and work collaboratively with each Finalist. It is anticipated the shoot days will be scheduled between Monday 2 December 2013 and Friday 20 December 2013. If required, STUDIO will arrange Finalists’ travel and accommodation to Sydney to attend their shoot date. STUDIO will arrange and provide flights only from Finalists’ nearest airport and provide accommodation at a pre-determined 3.5 star hotel.
15. Each Finalist’s promo will then go into post-production by STUDIO.
16. On 27 February 2014, a STUDIO event will be held in Sydney where the Major Prize Winner will be announced. Travel costs to and from Sydney to attend the event are at the Finalists’ own cost.
17. All four Finalists’ works will be broadcast at STUDIO’s discretion from 1 March 2014.
MINOR PRIZE (4)
18. Each of the four Finalists will receive a minor prize of $1,000 (the Minor Prize).
MAJOR PRIZE (1)
19. In addition to the Minor Prize, the Major Prize winner will receive $10,000, and the Major Prize winner will be assisted by STUDIO in a mentorship program, that will be subject to the Major Prize winner entering into a separate Memorandum of Understanding with SBS (the Major Prize).
20. In addition:
• Each Finalist will feature in a short-form interstitial piece about the competition, to be broadcast on STUDIO and featured on the STUDIO website and social media.
• Each Finalist’s final 30 second work based on the Concept will be broadcast on STUDIO with an on-air credit.
• Each Finalist’s portfolio will be showcased on The Loop.
• Each Finalist will be invited to attend the STUDIO winner’s announcement event to be held in Sydney on 27 February 2014. (Travel to and from the announcement event is at the participant’s own cost).
21. The Judging Panel will judge the Finalists’ finished entries and the Major Prize winner will be selected on 27 February 2013, at 10:00 AEDT at SBS Corporation, 14 Herbert Street, Artarmon, NSW 2064. The Major Prize winner will be announced at the STUDIO event on 27 February 2013 and, if required, notified by mail, email and phone. The name of the Major Prize winner will be published on the STUDIO website on 1 March 2013.
22. The total value of the cash prizes is valued at $14,000 ex GST. The cash portion of the Major and Minor Prizes will be awarded via electronic transfer or cheque (subject to SBS discretion).
23. SBS accepts no responsibility for any loss, damages, or injury incurred to enter the competition or in connection with taking up the prizes.
24. Once the cash portion of the prizes have left the prize supplier’s premises, we take no responsibility for prizes delayed or lost in transit. It is the winners’ responsibility to advise the correct bank account details for receipt of the cash portion of the prize.
25. SBS takes no liability for any tax issues which may arise from accepting a prize in this competition. You should consult an independent tax adviser if this is a concern.
26. SBS takes no liability for loss, theft or destruction of any equipment owned and used by the Finalists’ in the production of their Concept.
27. It is a condition of accepting the prize that the winner must comply with all the conditions of the prize supplier’s requirements.
28. Except for any liability that cannot be excluded by law, SBS (including its officers, employees and agents) excludes all liability (including negligence), for any personal or permanent injury or loss of life; or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity); whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of the promotion.
29. SBS and the Loop assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorised access to, or alterations of entries, and reserves the right to take any action that may be available. If for any reason this competition is not capable of running as planned, due to causes including, but not limited to tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the control of SBS which corrupt or affect the administration security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this competition, SBS reserves the right in its sole discretion, to the fullest extent permitted by law, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, take any action that may be available, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the competition. Subject to state regulations.
30. This is a game of skill. Chance plays no part in determining the winner. Each entry will be individually judged, based upon literary and creative merit. All entries must be the original independent creation of the entrant and free of any claims that they infringe any third party rights. Entries must not have been published previously and/or have been used to win prizes in any other competitions.
31. The judges reserve the right to disqualify any entrant submitting an entry which, in the opinion of the judges, includes objectionable content, including but not limited to profanity, nudity, potentially insulting, scandalous, inflammatory or defamatory images or language. SBS’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
32. All Finalists’ entries become and remain the property of SBS. SBS may use the Finalists’ names and addresses for promotional, marketing and publicity purposes. Finalists could be required to participate in channel publicity activity. Any expenses incurred while participating in channel publicity will be reimbursed by STUDIO.
33. STUDIO agrees not to intentionally use design and or concepts submitted by entrants (excluding the four Finalists) into the Competition for future channel campaigns.
35. The promoter is Special Broadcasting Service Corporation (SBS), incorporating the subscription arts channel, STUDIO, of 14 Herbert Street, Artarmon NSW 2064 (ABN 91 314 398 574). SBS phone: 1800 500 727.